One of the most popular use cases for Twindom's full body 3D scanners is people who take them to cosplay and halloween-themed events. The above is an image of a 3D printed figurine from someone who dressed up in a RX-78-2 Gundam suit at an event that Seattle-based Holodeck 3D Studios did with a Twinstant Mobile full body 3D scanner. The end result not only makes a great memory for the attendee, but shows how people can make a 3D printed action figure by getting 3D scanned in their costume and then have the 3D scan 3D printed. The full color 3D print was fulfilled using Twindom's full color 3D printing service on a Projet 660 3D printer.
Update since original posting
If you're interested in getting a 3D printed action figure made of yourself you can find a location of someone with a full body 3D scanner from this page. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Tell us where you are located by filling out the form on this page
- Book an appointment with the person we put you in contact with that has a full body 3D scanner.
- Dress up in the costume of whatever 3D printed action figure you want to create. If your costume has special props, it is important to check ahead of time with the person you book an appointment to make sure they will come out in the final 3D printed figurine. For example, capes can be tricky to 3D print, but sometimes you can get away with it if the cape is pressed against your back during the 3D scanning process.
- Go to your appointment and get yourself 3D scanned. It is usually a good idea to get 3D scanned in a few different poses that way if one of the 3D scans fails to process you have back ups.
- Order your 3D printed action figure. Pricing will vary, but expect to pay anywhere from $60 to $150. If your familiar with 3D modeling software, you can also ask to order the 3D digital model in case you want to make modifications to your 3D scan before it's turned into a 3D printed action figure.
- Manufacturing of the 3D printed figurine usually takes 1-2 weeks, but can vary depending on how the person with the full body 3D scanner decides to fulfill your order.
- Once you receive your 3D printed action figure, make sure to store it a non-humid place so it doesn't degrade over time. Here is another blog post with additional tips to ensure your 3D printed action figure lasts.
Want to learn more about the 3D printing and 3D scanning process?